The Spirit and the Flesh By Joshua Evers

John Donne has some very enriching content, and he quickly won me over with his respect for the scriptures. He presents a contrast with the body and soul that stirred me up with excitement, reminding me about the passage of Romans 8:5-7.


"...earth is the center of my body, heaven is the center of my soul; these two are the natural places of these two; but those go not to these two in an equal pace; my body falls down without pushing; my soul does not go up without pulling; ascension is my soul's pace and measure, but precipitation is my body's. " (p. 12-13).


For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but   those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. For to set the mind on the flesh is deathbut to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. Romans 8:5-6


He sets such a stark contrast between his physical body and his soul. Earth, the temporal and changing creation is attributed to his body while the glorious heaven is linked with his soul. While he holds a much more passive explanation concerning his body and spirit, this echoes Paul's words to the church in Rome. This physical body and this earth are temporary and mortal.

 John Donne has a high regard for the scriptures and personal amazement in God's transcendence, as he praises God for pouring His love out on us and how we are to treat others in the same manner. Prayer XVI is my favorite. He acknowledges and praises God for His omnipotence in the death of a friend. Donne's devotions are completely worth the read and have left me reminiscing over many scriptures as well as the majesty of God.


I commented on the posts of Will and Zelda.

x

Comments

  1. As someone who has had two highly close friends die at young ages, I completely understood Prayer XVI from a standpoint that I don't think is the same for any two people. For me, knowing that both of them accepted Christ and grew in the church with me was huge... I mean, my best friends are dancing with Jesus whereas I was skipping rocks on the playground. I missed them terribly, and still do, although the peace that I have knowing that thanks to God I'm going to see them again for me has always been an inspirational relief. I don't know, maybe that doesn't make sense.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts