Sam Smith and John Donne Setting The Mood.... -Abbigayle Ebling


"So let us melt, and make no noise, no tear-floods, nor sigh-tempests move... But we by a love so much refin'd that ourselves know not what it is, inter-assured of the mind, care less, eyes, lips, and hands to miss... Thy soul, the fix'd foot, makes no show to move, but doth, if the' other do... Thy firmness makes my circle just, and makes me end, where I begun." 

I thought I was more of a Sam Smith Too Good At Goodbyes type of person but my heart instantly felt A Valediction: Forbidding Mourning to the point where I had to stop for a second. I mean, the reality of summer coming and that I won't be sitting in a class with all of my friends and acquaintances is overwhelming, and that poem didn't help the mood at all. I mean, even though I have only been at UM for four months now, the relationships I have built and lessons I have learned have become deeply entwined in my heart. I know we aren't supposed to make this like a Facebook post, but we are also not supposed to do a summary. I will try not to make it too long, although this is the last time we're posting so I also don't want to go out without giving this my all.

 In Devotions, XVII Prayer, page 112, I love the segment, "As death is the wages of sin it is due to me; as death is the end of sickness it belongs to me; and though so disobedient a servant as I may be afraid to die, yet to so merciful a master as thou I cannot be afraid to come; and therefore into thy hands, O my God, I commend my spirit, a surrender which I know thou wilt accept, whether I live or die..."

I feel like this is every college student, especially those at UM, in a way. We all are trying to follow the path that God set for us by "surrendering" our spirits to Him for His purpose. So to all my friends leaving Honors and the University after this semester, I love y'all and I know that God will use your sacrifice to further His kingdom and do some amazing things. Love you guys!

P.s. I commented on the posts of Cade Wood and Joshua Evers

Comments

Popular Posts