I’m a little world short and stout//Ezra Kennedy

Because I’m still stuck in the research paper mentality I’m going to connect a piece of the devotions that really struck me, with one of the Holy Sonnets (I am a little world made cunningly)

In the expostulation, a quote stood out at me as I read because I resonate with it on a spiritual level that frustrates me on every level. “My God, My God, Why is not my soul as sensible as my body? Why hath not my soul these apprehensions, these presages, these changes, these anti dates.... why is there not always a pulse in my soul to beat at the approach of a temptation of sin?” (p.9)

Why can’t I feel my soul like I feel the beating of my heart in my chest, like I feel jealousy, sorrow, longing, Hunger, or pain?? My body bothers me with all of these feelings that do nothing more but remind me of something I need. I’ve grown up learning what the different alarms of my body mean, but I have yet to become as familiar with my spirit!

The Holy Sonnet I mentioned earlier is about how our body is a miniature world with a small angelic light at its core, just as the earth has a warm energy at its core. That light, though is covered with betraying sin just like the earth is covered in us, we defiled few. We feel the salty seas that fill our eyes and the way our hearts burn with lust and envy. But our spirit burns with a different passion, it burns with the healing flames of God. But can we feel it?? Sure, occasionally, but not like we can feel the loud cries of our blackened bodies.

PS. I commented on Madison’s and Abbigayle’s posts

Comments

  1. I really liked your post because I have experienced the same frustrations. I know when I'm thirsty, yet I don't recognize when my soul is thirsting for spiritual fulfillment. It goes to show how we need to train ourselves to be more sensitive to our soul's signals. Easier said than done. We still have to try, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you’re thinking here. The thought of “why can’t one feel there soul is an interesting thought. It’s not an emotion, but something is a separate realm. And yet, we are just as aware of it and it effects us daily in who we were born as and in who we develop to be. Good word my friend

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts